Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Archery

"Thwack" The arrow hit the target.  The person in front of me was on his last arrow.  We were on the archery course at camp Michindoh.  It was cold out and we were wearing jackets.  I was with some of my friends and we were practicing archery.  "Thwack" The arrow missed.
"Get your arrows!" the instructor shouted.
They got their arrows and put them in the rack.
"You may step up!" she said.
I stepped up to the stand and grabbed the bow and 1 arrow.
"You may knock your arrows" the instructor said.
We placed the arrows on the string right below the gold bead.
"Fire when ready."
“I can do this.” I thought.
I aimed for the center of the target.  I stared down the shaft and positioned it just right.  I let go.  The arrow flew through the air as if it was in slow motion.  "Thwack" My arrow missed the target completely.  We knocked our next arrows.  I pulled back my bow strings and looked down the body of the arrow to align it with just to the center of the target.  I released.  "Thwack."  My arrow hit the blue ring.  The blue is the ring outside the red which is right outside the bulls-eye.  We knocked our last arrows.  I looked down the shaft of the arrow until I found the very center of the target.  I pulled back as far as I could and released the string.  "Smack" I hit the red ring. 
"So close." I thought to myself. 
We walked out onto the archery course and pulled our arrows out of the target.  We walked back with the arrows held behind our backs so we wouldn't get hurt if we fell.  We put the arrows in the rack right next to the bow.  I stepped to the back of the line to wait for my next turn.


No comments:

Post a Comment